Kolukkattai is an authentic dish made of rice flour. This is easy to make and that tastes awesome. We used to prepare this kolukkatai for any poojas at home. Traditional and tasty. Here is the recipe
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Roasted/Fried gram - 1/4 cup
- Coconut - 1/4 cup (shredded)
- Cardamom - 4
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Water - as required
- In a bowl, mix rice, salt together and slowly add water and prepare a non-sticky dough. Add oil at the last stage and make the dough ready.
- Make lemon sized balls with the dough.
- Grind fried gram, coconut and cardamom together and make it a coarse mixture.
- Take a dough ball and keep it in banana leaf or a simple polythene bag.
- Press the dough slowly using your fingers to make a circle of the dough.
- Keep the puran in one side of the dough and fold the dough to form the shape as shown in the pic.
- Make the remaining dough like this and keep them in the idli cooker and close the lid of idli cooker.
- Cook them till the steam comes out of the idli cooker.
- Open the lid of the idli cooker and transfer the kolukkattai to a bowl and serve hot.
My 2 cents
- you can add sesame while preparing puran.
- you can add milk to rice flour to get a white kolukkattai.
- you can add paruppu puran also.