Peas curry is my favourite and this can go well with roti, paratha and also with plain rice. Peas is one of the healthiest foods. Its high in protein. My mom makes the one which is made of ground coconut paste. I just added curd and cashews to replace the coconut in her recipe. Here is the recipe
- Green Peas - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 (medium)
- Tomato - 1 (medium)
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Cashews - 8 to 10
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Cardamom - 1
- Curd - 2 tbsp
- Kasoori methi(dried) - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Star anise - 1
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Soak the peas for 6-7 hours or overnight and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Drain water from peas and keep aside.
- Slice onion and tomato and keep aside
- In a small bowl add cashews and mix with curd. Soak this mixture for 10 mins and grind it in mixer to a smooth paste.
- In a preheated tawa, add a tsp of oil and fry onions till its transparent. Add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and and fry till it turns mushy.Let the mixture cool down and grind it to a fine paste.
- In the same tawa, add Butter first and let it melt completely and add cardomom, cinnamon sticks and star anise to temper.
- Add little onions and fry (This step is optional. I just added it to have the fried crunchy onion aroma in the final curry).
- Add the ground onion tomato paste and add them to the fried onions.
- Once the raw smell leaves out completely from the curry, simmer the stove and add the ground cashew paste to it and mix well.
- Add salt, garam masala and chilli powder to it and mix well and cook it.
- Add green peas and saute it and cook the curry till its done completely.
- Switch off the stove once its done completely and add kasoori methi to garnish.
My 2 cents
- Use a fresh curd to grind the cashews.
- You can substitute milk for curd to get creamy sweet taste.
- I used the dry peas. you can use fresh peas or frozen peas also.
- Adding dried methi gives a great flavour.
- You can puree the tomato and directly add it to the fried onions. I just wanted to have more gravy so i ground the onions and tomato mixture.