Medhuvada with ghee pongal is in my first list when i order any food at hotels. We used to prepare this medhu vada at home for every special occasion. I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law. For my first pongal at my in-laws home, my co-sister and my MIL prepared this and I had a chance to prepare few by that time. Whenever I prepare batter for Idli, I will reserve few urad dhal batter and tried this out. This is how i tried to prepare medhu vada. When I plan to prepare with less oil, I will pour the batter in paniyaram kuli and make this one. I will post the same little later.
- Urad dhal - 1 cup
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 10 (shallots)
- Ginger - 1 inch sized
- Green chilli - 2
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Coriander leaves - few
- Soak urad dhal for 1 hour atleast.
- cut onion, ginger and green chilli into small size.
- Grind to a coarse paste.
- Add fennel seeds, onion, green chilli, ginger, salt, curry leaves and coriander leavaes.
- To maintain the consistency adjust 2 tbsp of rice powder and mix well and keep the batter fluffy.
- In a frying pan, add enough oil and let the oil to be hot.
- Take a laddle, turn it back and grease with little oil.
- Take a lemon sized batter and put it on greased laddle and press it gently to form a circle shaped.
- Place a hole in the middle and Now the batter is ready to be a medhu vada.
- Bring the batter to your right hand and slowly place it in oil.
- Fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Flip to the other side and fry till golden brown.
My 2 cents
- You can add red chilli to substitute green chilli.
- Adding rice flour is purely optional. I just added to maintain the batter consistency.
- You can directly make the shapes using your hand itself. I used both the hands for frying and so i used a laddle.