Usually my amma makes bittergourd fry with the smaller ones and that tastes too good. The smaller bittergourd is available occasionally in markets and i used to cook with the bigger ones itself which is more bitter.It needs more ingredients to be added with this to make this good to eat. I used to make pakodas with bittergourd and that will be too good, but consumes more oil. So i tried with the grilled option and that comes good. Here is the recipe
- Bitter gourd - 1 large
- All purpose flour - 3 tsp
- Corn starch - 1 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cut the bittergourd into round sized ones. Cook it till its tender and keep aside
- In a bowl, Mix all purpose flour, corn starch, salt and chilli with little salt and make it a thick paste. Add the boiled bittergourd and make the bittergourd coated well with the paste.
Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Spread oil on a baking sheet and place the bittergourd on it and keep the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven. Set the timer for 20 mins. Flip to the other side in the mid interval
- I observed even after its grilled finely in the oven, a little raw smell came out of this andso i added 1/2 tsp of oil in a hot skillet and fried it for just a min. This came out crispy and tasty.
My 2 cents
- You can add jaggery or sugar to bittergourd while you boil to avoid bitterness on it.