Friday 7 March 2014

Narthangai Rasam/Bitter Orange Rasam




Whenever we travel to my hubbys home at his native, my father in law will bring narthangai from his farm. My aunt will make pickles with half of them and the rest will be reserved for making rasam. My hubby loves this rasam and he asked me to try it out. I hesitated it a bit as I was thinking of bittery rasam and later I turned to be a big fan of this rasam. I believe you would love them too.          

Ingredients
  • Pepper - 1 and 1/2tsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1tsp
  • Hing - 1/4tsp
  • Garlic - 3 cloves
  • Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Salt - 1/4 tsp
  • Green or red chilli - 1
  • Tomato - 1 small sized
  • Coriander leaves - few
  • Curry leaves - few
Cooking steps
  1. Blend pepper and cumin seeds to a coarse powder.
  2. Add garlic and red chilli and blend.
  3. Now add tomato, hing and turmeric powder and blend well.
  4. Extract 1tbsp of narthangai juice, strain it and keep aside
  5. In a small pan, add 1tsp of oil and add mustard and curry leaves. Let them sputter
  6. Add this ground mixture, add salt to it and boil it till the raw smell disappears completely
  7. Then add 2 cups of water to it and let it boil till the first rolling of rasam. Add this narthangai juice at this stage and switch off the burner. 
  8. Garnish with coriander leaves





My 2 cents
  • You can use lemon instead of narthangai too.
  • Once I tried orange rasam also. I skipped tomato and extracted a juice from 1 orange and added. It tastes too good(I will post them later).

No comments:

Post a Comment